Monday, May 26, 2008

At Arlington's Gate

Happy Memorial Day America; And Afghanistan, and Iraq and Iran and other hot spots in the world.
I watched a special on CBS by David Martin on the Arlington National Cemetery. When I was in my early teens, I visited that hallowed landmark of our history. Here is a poem that I have been mulling over in my mind and I dedicate it to the men and women who have served in our country.

AT ARLINGTON''S GATE

A child about to be born stands at his mother's door.
'bout to push through the revolving door.
He stands at the threshhold and pushes through
struggling valiantly to make it home.

Dependent on his mother's breasts at the start ,
weaning to full maturity.

Flash forward 18 years and off to fight for his country.
He stands on the other side of the world.
waiting patiently for the world as he serves the world.

He falls and dies.
Dependent he is again on his mother country to bring him home again.
to safety. to his mother's arms.
this time not in joy
but in unconsolable grief.
But thanks to his service. He spent his time helping out our country.

But really was it helping at all.

We may not know for many years.

But all I can say as I stand at Arlington's gate
seeing the eternal flame.
Hearing JFK"s words-"think what you can do for this country"

I sing God Bless the USA
And thank my savior Jesus for taking his life so I may live in the Republic of Heaven.

No comments: