Friday, May 13, 2005

A civics trip remembered

In 1978, my 8th grade class traveled to the nation's capitol for the school trip. In the morning of a fall day, I was in the library at the fairfield Woods Junior High . Mr Mitola, my social studies teacher came into the library to choose from a hat the 45 students that were to go on the trip. I awaited with great anticipation. Mr. Mitola read the names one by one: James, Mary, Joe, Ralph, Jim, Peter, Sean, Scott........
That embarked for me a journey of preparation for me. How could I be ready for such a big endeavor. The school administration and teachers had their doubts. But I knew that I was going to be able to make this trip happen. As I promised myself and others, I walked most afternoons in the neighborhood walking by the nature preserve in town. As I got near it, I listened to the rushing of the waters and the chirping of the birds. The loops that I developed as I walked became great therapy for me as I knew I was reaching my goal that I really wanted to accomplish. This was my first big school field trip that I was about to take.
Mr. Mitola encouraged me a lot when I took the trip. He really did. He was a man with a big heart and smile=helping others to laugh and learn.
Being a little different from the other students, he always stood up for me and had a quiet understanding of my struggles as a student adapting to the world of public education.

No comments: