Saturday, December 08, 2007

Jesus meets Santa

Imagine the line.
In front are hundreds of children lined up
waiting for their chance to pay their annual visit to Saint Nick.
Children clinging to their mothers hands.
Dressed in their red and green outfits

with sugar plums dancing in their heads.

In their midst is a humble man,dressed in Gap Blue jeans.
long told of by sages of his time. Of the forecasters of CNN and the nightly weather shows.

The line was fast approaching the royal throne, elaborately upholstered, with the sides enamored and layered with red and gold bunting trim.
This humble man looked around and up at this festivity. Wondering who was this for.

He looked in front of the line. Paused. Saw the sign and the cash register. $29.95 for your own picture with Saint Nick. Humble man got out his wallet and dug around for his ID. "Sorry, sir, I must have left it at home." The cashier said," we must have an ID. Do you have any for us"
The line was growing behind him. He looked back and He heard some shouts in the crowd.
"Hey, mister, my child is sick. She needs a doctor." Humble man turned around and saw her in the crowd. The cashier listened to the music in the background resounding,"Peace on earth, good will toward men. Rejoice. Jingle Bells?

As the man approached Santa's throne, he looked at it. Dressed in red and green and gold. Red upholstery. He laughed out loud, "Merry Christmas, my dear child. What is your wish, my lad? " This humble man looked at Santa and said, "did you see my throne?" He continued,"I gave up mine several years ago to aid your fellow elves"
Santa looked puzzled. He chuckled, "my fellow elves, whom?"
Humble man said, "Look, have you not heard the christmas story. Of these angels that we have heard on high. With their wings unfurled. Of the star above the evening sky
looking down on the pilgrims traveling from afar.
Announcing the birth of the babe in a manger.
The ringing of bells from sleighs.
And,...
Santa, interrupts, "Oh, yeah, the bells, the presents that my elves have made for these dear children of mine."
Humble man said excitedly, "Oh no, don't you know who I am. Have you not seen me in your mail box each December. And have you not seen me in the hearts of these children. I am the Claus of forever. And I am who I am.
The word erupting into creation. Popcorn popping in the vendors carts.
Of snowflakes unfolding from above.

No comments: