Sunday, July 31, 2005

Living by faith and not by sight

Reflecting on the heritage of the hymns of the Christian faith, I recall a woman who lived in the hometown of Brigeport, Fanny Crosby. She authored over 8,000 hymns of the story of faith.
Even though she was without her sense of sight for her entire life, that did not stop her from reaching out to others in her music to God. He was glorified by her words that inspired her of her undistracted communion with God.
I knew in my college years, a student, Timothy Dailey, who was blind and got along with his guide dog, Nona. He had a good voice and a love for chorale music. And he had a sweet temperament and disposition. Nothing could stop him for what he did. I had the opportunity to help him learn his lessons by reading the texts of his books ranging from Jonathan Edwards sermon, Sinners in the hands of an angry God to texts on sociology. He was one of the first students I met at a dinner picnic . Another blind man that I met was Dr. Coleman who I had for intro to philosophy for my first class. The lessons I learned from him were to keep on perservering moving with one foot in front of the other and to keep the guide stick in front of him and tap on things in front of him.
Not always easy to see what is in front of us. Whether it is a guide dog or stick, we have the holy spirit within us to guide us and move us forward in our lives. It is a nudge to our spirit and enables us to have courage to live our lives to the fullest!!!! Thank you, Lord, for providing two excellent examples of men who lived by faith and not by sight and for the hymnist, Fanny Crosby, who has blessed the world with your music.

No comments: